MHS Art Show Displays Variety of Art Styles

Cultural Feeling: The works from Sophie Cuevas, senior, capture a sense of culture and lifestyle. While some photographs appeared to be in black and white, others consisted of darker colors with a low exposure that gave them a feeling of comfort.

Citlalli Gonzalez

Citlalli Gonzalez, Staff Reporter

This year MHS hosted the all-area art show for the second year in a row. It was held on April 11 and 12 during school hours for MHS students and also from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. for Mundelein residents on the first day in the main gym.  The art show consisted of student artwork from the various schools in the area.  Artists ranged from kindergarteners all the way to high school seniors.

One particular student, Daniel Morales, senior in AP Art, was a success at the art show, as his work was a top hit among his peers.

During the art show, a crowd of students gathered around his photography pieces, many in awe of the visual representation shown in his work. His photographs, which came with a short paragraph titled “Life through My Eyes”, reflected his everyday life experiences.

“I feel great being in the art show because I am able to make people feel emotion when they look at my photos,” said Morales.

As an AP art student, he’s taken an art class every year since freshman year and enjoys sharing his creations with other people. Morales said that his “favorite thing about art is when [he is] done with a piece because [he gets to] see how all the hard work [he’s] done while editing pays off.”

Another student artist at the show was Stephanie Fernandez, sophomore. She displayed two pieces, one being an oil painting and the other her ceramic piece that won first place in the ceramic section at the state art show.

“It’s cool to be able to share what you made with other people, and just having it on display gives you a sense of pride and accomplishment, ” said Fernandez about being in both art shows.

MHS Art Teachers Mike Bale and Jonathan Pruc were in charge of directing and hosting the art show. With the help of students, they set up and cleaned up the show.

While most students showcased one to two pieces of work from the school year, the AP art students had their own section for multiple individual art pieces.

To Bale, art, especially explored in school, “is a chance for people to be creative and go their own way.

Bale was also excited about the huge crowds that gathered at the exhibition.

“It was super cool to have a huge crowd with different levels of students and different teachers doing different things… the turnout [of the art show] was pretty amazing that night,” he said.

Participating schools included MHS, Carl Sandburg Middle School, Fremont Middle School, West Oak Middle School, Mechanics Grove Elementary School, Washington Elementary School, Fair Haven Elementary School and Fremont Elementary School.

The Art Show in Pictures

Featuring artwork from 10 schools, the MHS all-area art show was held in the school’s main gym on April 11 and 12. In its second year at MHS, the show featured artwork from students in kindergarten all the way to seniors in high school. The art teachers had AP art students submit multiple pieces of their work with students in regular art classes submitting at least one.

The art show itself was open the first day to the student body during class hours along with after school from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. On the second day, it was only open during school hours.

Art Teacher Mike Bale “thought [the show] was awesome” because “it was super cool to have a huge crowd with different levels of students and different teachers doing different things.”