Reality Check: The Cold Always Bothered Me Anyway

Sophia Fiore, Staff Reporter

When going from summer to fall to winter, there can be mixed feelings about the changing seasons.

For example, now that fall is among us, it is true that the warm summer weather will be greatly missed. No more shorts and flip-flops; it’s time to bring out the giant coats and scarves.

Don’t get me wrong; fall has its perks, for Halloween and Thanksgiving are celebrated around this time, which brings lots of food and family traditions.

Therefore, this brings me to my point– all the seasons are great, but they all have their ups and downs.

While I might like fall because it allows for the opportunity to wear cuter clothes– scarves, sweaters and leggings are much comfier than jean shorts and a tank top–I mostly associate fall and winter with the approaching freezing weather and the other many negatives that come with the season.

“Cold weather makes my skin very dry,” said Heather Avis, freshman. “I can’t feel my ligaments when it’s cold.”

This is a recurring feeling when one is stuck in the cold Illinois weather. It’s even worse when one must be forced outside into this weather.

“When I do outside work, it’s harder in the cold,” said Michael Pini, sophomore.

This can make people lazy, which isn’t good, and this is where summer has the advantage. One can get much more work done in the summer when it’s warmer.

But winter does offer a beautiful atmosphere with its unique outdoor activities–building a snowman or skiing– as long as people are willing to bundle up.

However, warm weather in the summer and fall is better for the type of food available to eat.  For example, there is nothing better than getting ice cream after a hard day’s work.

“I love ice cream or ICEEs; anything that’s cold to cool you down,” said Sophomore Gigi Scibetta.

This isn’t something worth eating in winter, though, so we must be satisfied with the hot drinks, such as hot chocolate, that winter offers.

Fall foods are a favorite, though, because of the various pie options for Thanksgiving and the sweet treats for Halloween.

“I like pumpkin pie hands down,” said Junior Jessica Marvin. “Pecan pie, whipped cream, the Halloween cookies– fall just has so many food options.”

doggy 2
Photo taken by Yearbook Editor Ashley Nensel

While winter might not be the most popular season when compared to summer and fall, it is worth noting that Illinois does provide its citizens with the best of all worlds. We get to fully experience the four seasons.

In the summer, people get to see the vibrant green grass and sunny skies; in spring, people see the flowers blooming while, in the fall, they get to see the leaves change, and in the winter, they get to see the beautiful white snow.

It allows us to choose our favorite season from four options.

“I like fall the most; it’s just a beautiful time of the year,” said Marvin.

With the different, colorful leaves, it’s hard not to love this season, but it does signal the coming cold weather, which many consider tragic.

“Winter cold can hurt because of how cold it gets,” said Scibetta.

During winter, one has to worry about frostbite and being freezing cold in general. While some might also complain about the extreme heat of the summer, I’d personally take the heat of the summer over the chill of the winter, or even the fall for that matter.

But the fall does suggest a changing of events, which can offer the great feeling of a new start.

“It’s changing seasons; life’s changing, [and] school starts,” Marvin said.

Fall is a busy time of the year, and though it can be stressful, people get to start school and see their friends after the long break.

But that might not compare to the lack of stress summer can ensure.

The season I have yet to mention is spring–yes, it’s pretty, but it’s not as enjoyable for me. It’s a bit on the cool side with the addition of rain, which prevents some from doing the fun activities right around the corner for summer.

In the summer, one can go swimming, tubing, tanning– you name it– but in the spring, people don’t always have those options.

Still, each season has its perks, including the activities they offer.  Check out the accompanying chart for seasonal favorites, but my favorite will remain summer for its hot weather, great food and unlimited activities.  It’s hard to see it go while winter takes over for the next few months.

winter package 1winter package 2