E-books Not Necessary for Success

E-books Not Necessary for Success

Cat Stevens, Staff Reporter

Although e-books may be more convenient, it is clear that most students favor textbooks and find them easier to read without getting distracted or sidetracked. It is in MHS’s best interest, then, to keep the textbooks with which the students are familiar and not jump on the e-books bandwagon.

In a 2014 study conducted by Hewlett Packard, 57 percent of San Jose State University students chose traditional textbooks over e-books while only 21 percent favored e-books.

A Feb. 22, 2015, article in The Washington Post cited statistics from a University of Washington study that found 87 percent of the textbooks bought for the fall semester of 2014 were traditional textbooks, leaving only 13 percent to be e-books.

It’s clear that textbooks are better than e-books– just look at student preference– but some still argue on behalf of this technology.

“The advantage of e-books is that [students] say, ‘I don’t have my book’ because the Chromebooks are always accessible,” said Michelle Bonadies, social studies teacher.

Although Chromebooks are a handy tool for students, the chorus of kids asking one another to borrow a charger for their dead Chromebook as they fight over power outlets is not a very convenient way to start off class.

While e-books are more convenient for students who would otherwise have to carry all their textbooks, students have also expressed that they find it easier to get off track while using e-books.

“I get distracted very easily when I try to use [e-books] for schoolwork. I always end up on the internet doing random things. The freedom [e-books] give us isn’t something I can be responsible for; the computer aspect gets too distracting,” said Katie Keefe, sophomore.

The freedom e-books offer because they are on the internet is simply too much responsibility for most high school students to manage. When studying a textbook, it’s impossible to scroll through Twitter, but that becomes too easy of an act for students when reading an e-book.

Additionally, the use of e-books in public schools raises concern for students who don’t have access to Wi-Fi or computers when they are at home.

But the real reason to embrace the textbook is there is no other feeling quite like holding a traditional textbook over an e-book. Many readers love the smell of an actual book, which is something e-books don’t have.

“I prefer regular textbooks,” said Nandi Patel, sophomore. “They just feel more real.”