Seniors Last Chance to Dance

Danielle Hoffstadt, Staff Reporter

As the MHS varsity dance team seniors said a final farewell to their dance careers at MHS, they are now left with only the memories.

“It’s going to be pretty different from all the skills we’re losing next year from our seniors… I have formed a relationship with these girls over the past three seasons, so it’s going to be hard to let go of those connections,” said Kenzie Toland, junior captain.

MVDT had a very successful season ranging from first place victories throughout the season to taking eighth place in the state competition in Bloomington, IL, held Jan. 29-30.

It was a bittersweet end for the seniors on varsity knowing their love for the team that has grown over the past four years was coming to an end.

“So many tears. On the bus ride to Bloomington we read each other state letters, and everyone was crying of course, but it was something extra to be a senior. Knowing it was our last time competing was just overall really sad,” said Erica Peterson, senior captain.

To look on the positive side of the emotional end, the girls reflected on the fun times they shared from the Universal Dance Association Camp they attended in the summer to dancing at the football games or to the team bondings at Toland’s house.

“One of my favorite memories every year has to be the UDA camp at University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee. It’s in the beginning of the year so that is where the bonding starts to form from the crazy late nights to learning new dances. It was so much fun for all of us,” said Kelly Vander Ploeg, senior captain.

Bonding continued throughout the year and intensified when the team prepared for state.

“We practiced three to four days a week along with practices being extended an extra half hour,” said Peterson, “This caused a ton of stress on everyone just because we all wanted to make it to state. The work definitely paid off.”

Each time MVDT competed they performed the same routine with some minor adjustments made by their coach Melissa Schaefer. They originally had two dances this season, one being hip hop and the other modern.

The modern piece is the dance that qualified the team for state. For this selection, they danced to a mixed version of “Chains” by Nick Jonas and performed moves choreographed by well-known choreographer Eugene. A unique feature of their costumes was the material wrapped around their wrists to make it look like they were locked in chains.

Even though MVDT went from fourth place on day one at state to eighth place on day two, they were still very proud of their accomplishments throughout the season.

“I think this season went really well,” said Vander Ploeg. “It is always our goal to place top 10 at state…we really exceeded our expectations, and I am happy to have ended my high school dance career the way we did.”