Fans Bring Luck to the Puck

Danielle Hoffstadt, Staff Reporter

Since Red Rage was voted the No. 1 student section in the state of Illinois for their encouragement of the LZMW hockey team, the players are thanking the fans for their gracious support.

“This year has improved a lot…people have been more aware of the program, which encourages more players to try out,” said varsity hockey player Brett Parola, junior.

In the past years, some people were not even aware MHS had a hockey program; however, Red Rage leaders and players on the team worked together to spread awareness on social media as well as around the school.

Many of the members on the team said the fans have played a major role in the success of the team this season by impacting the setting and the players’ motivation.

“I think [the fan support] gets us really amped up and excited to play…it increases the intensity, which makes it a lot more fun to have an environment like that,” said varsity hockey player Jack Kekstadt, senior.

During the season, boys as well as girls from Lake Zurich, Mundelein and Wauconda play at the Glacier arena in Vernon Hills almost every Wednesday at 9 p.m.

“The environment in the arena is positive, and I love the variety of people there. Overall, the games are really fun to attend,” said LZMW fan Meghan Ehemann, junior.

In previous seasons there wasn’t always as big of a fan turnout because a home game starting at 9 p.m. can conflict with schedule commitments, homework and curfews.

But now that MHS has made every Thursday a late start, this gives the fans an extra two hours to sleep in the next morning.

“If we had a Monday game at that time, we would not get as much support as we do now,” said Nick Hollander, senior captain.

The fan-base is also growing because the hockey team originally was made up of members not just from MHS but also from Lake Zurich.  Wauconda was added this year to form LZMW.

This combination provides a variety of fans from all over the lake county area to support the team. Not only does it impact the size of the student section, but the team chemistry.  Players learn how to work together with teammates they don’t see every day at school.

“We bond in the locker room before practices and games… It is not difficult at all since we communicate a lot,” said varsity hockey player Michael Nieckula, senior.

To thank the fans for all of their commitment, the LZMW program had a fan appreciation game where the audience was provided free pizza prior to one of the last home games of the season.

“The fans have helped us a lot more than people realize,” said Hollander.

The team members are even more content after a Feb. 29 championship 7-0 win against the D155 predators.

After winning their division, they now have a state playoff game March 13 against Mount Carmel.