Students Enjoy an ‘Enchanted Evening’ at Prom

Jennimai Nguyen, Opinions Editor

MHS held its annual prom for juniors and seniors on May 6. The dance took place at the Marriott Lincolnshire Resort from 6:30 to 11:30 p.m.

“It took us about four months in total to entirely plan prom,” said Junior Class President Adriana Feijoo, who worked with the junior class Student Leadership executive board and general members to put together the dance. “We chose the theme, picked out the decorations, made the party favors, created the shirts and made the photo booth strips and centerpieces.”

This year’s prom operated under the theme of “An Enchanted Evening,” adopting classic traits of many childhood fairytales and Disney aspects.

“I think the hardest part was deciding what the theme would be,” said Feijoo. “We wanted to make everyone happy while also choosing a theme that would be memorable.”

To go along with the theme, the highly frequented photo booth featured props such as plastic tiaras, red roses, glass slippers and Mickey and Minnie Mouse cutouts.

“I always have liked a good photo booth,” said Clark Dumblauskas, senior. “The one at prom had some fun props to it.”

Prom has traditionally been an upperclassmen-only dance, but underclassmen are allowed to attend if they are accompanying an upperclassman date. Dates from other schools are also allowed with an MHS student.

“I’m not the biggest fan of allowing underclassmen at prom,” said Delaney Appelhans, junior. “I think it should be a tradition that upperclassmen get to look forward to.”
Regardless of age, MHS students continue to have fun at the last dance of the year. Traditionally the most formal of the school’s three dances, most students dress to the nines and prepare for a night to remember.

Feijoo said, “[Prom] was absolutely wonderful! I loved getting to see all our hard work pay off at the actual dance.”