From Jamaica to Las Vegas: How Students Spent Their Spring Breaks

Danielle Hoffstadt, Staff Reporter

At the end of Spring Break, a common reaction is to either be jealous that you did not go somewhere, like a tropical island, or to be content that you stayed in Mundelein. The question, then, becomes whether staying home or going away is the ideal spring break.
“For spring break, my family and I [went] on a cruise to Haiti, Jamaica, and Mexico with all of our neighborhood friends as well…. We did this last year as well, so this is our second trip,” said Kate Chuma, senior.

Chuma shared several of her most memorable spring break moments, such as going on excursions to several islands with her closest friends. These activities included ziplining, snorkeling and soaking up the sun on some of the world’s most beautiful beaches. Her ideal vacation is to be somewhere warm while with her family rather than continuing with the Chicago suburban flow.

Others have spring breaks that revolve around their athletic commitments, which can keep them at home or traveling.

“[The baseball team] actually go[es] on a trip to Carbondale, IL, to play games every day… I enjoy playing baseball over spring break; I don’t think it downgrades anything because I’m still with all my friends and having a good time,” said Andrew Beres, junior.

Baseball players had spring break that consisted of playing in tournaments in order to prepare for their spring season schedule.  It also gave the team a chance to bond while still working hard.

As for the people at home, some would say they only have a limited number of activities to do, such as going to the movies, going out to eat or hanging out with friends. Yet, some people prefer to have their leisurely time at their home; hanging out with friends can be seen as a perk since those who travel don’t usually get this opportunity.

But Chuma was fortunate enough to travel with her friends and family while having experienced other parts of the world.

While Chuma was traveling the world on a cruise, Kenzie Toland, junior, enjoyed the glitz and glam of Las Vegas as well as the natural beauty of the Grand Canyon.

“My mom and I went to Las Vegas last year as well, but this year we are visiting the Grand Canyon, which will be fun since our family enjoys hiking,” said Toland.

Toland said spring break allows her stress-free time away from school while getting to spend time with her family. While some people may prefer to stay at home to be with their friends, Toland agrees that it is nice to spend quality time with family away from everyday routines. But Toland got the best of both worlds during spring break. She spent a part of it away and a part of it in her hometown.

“I think it is fun to go away for a couple days then come back and spend time with friends,” Toland said, “But at the same time I can see them every weekend, so it is nice to have a change in scenery.”