Sylvia Plath Wins Over Readers With New Novel ‘Bell Jar’

Sylvia Plath Wins Over Readers With New Novel Bell Jar

Haley Brubaker, Staff Reporter

Romantic, depressing and realistic– “The Bell Jar” by Sylvia Plath is a story about Esther Greenwood’s downfall into depression from when she used to be at the top of her game. Plath gives Esther Greenwood a depressing story that can also make the audience sympathize with the main character in her misadventures toward discovering what she truly wants.

The story starts with Esther in New York City where she has won an opportunity to work with a popular magazine. After her internship is finished, Esther finds herself confused and depressed because she has too many plans for her life. Esther eventually meets Buddy, a college student with whom she falls in love. That is until Buddy is injured and admits to Esther that he has fallen in love with a nurse at the hospital he is staying.

The writing style can be described as professional, well-thought out, dream-like and mature. The author brings the audience into each scene through the thoughts of Esther. Another great aspect about the writing is that the main character doesn’t follow a certain formula, and she always seems to know herself better than even the people who know her best.

The novel is dark, but the author gives Esther such a unique way of explanation that it doesn’t sound depressing. Rather, it sounds realistic. Esther is just trying to find her way while figuring out what went wrong in her life.

Also, Esther tries everything to feel better, and this is probably the best part about the novel.  The main character becomes so depressed yet so willing and optimistic to make herself feel better.

This book is great for seniors who have no idea what they want to do after high school. This book also is good for students who feel lost and unimportant.  The reader can sympathize with Esther Greenwood’s feelings of being lost and at a standstill, having no idea what the future holds.

I give this novel a four out of five pages for a great main character, strong supporting characters and a relatable theme. This novel is not for people who hate sad stories, but otherwise, this book is a classic that anyone is sure to understand and like.