Stars of “Thoroughly Modern Millie” Express Feelings About Their Experiences

Stars of Thoroughly Modern Millie Express Feelings About Their Experiences

Melanie Umbdenstock, Staff reporter

The theatre program recently produced the spring musical, “Thoroughly Modern Millie”, from April 28-30. This musical takes the audience back to 1922, the top of the Jazz Age, as small-town girl Millie Dillmount, played by Senior Josie David, comes to the city of New York looking for a man to marry for money instead of love. Along the way, she meets a man named Jimmie Smith, played by Sophomore Dominic Cappuccilli, who soon becomes her love interest despite the hatred they have for each other at first sight.  Millie also just begins to enjoy the life of a flapper when problems arise at the hotel in which she is staying.  It is unveiled that the hotel owner Mrs. Meers, played by Senior Patty Roques, is running a white slavery ring.

These three leading stars shared with The Mustang how they feel about their high school theater experience.

Q: Out of all the years you’ve been involved with the MHS theatre program, what has been your favorite part, and why?

David: I love to perform something I’m proud of. I like to see the effect I have on people with the work I have done.

Cappuccilli: My favorite part of the theatre season is the musicals. I like how it comes together with the acting.

Roques: My favorite production by far was “Trust”, which I performed in my junior year. Playing the role of a victim of sexual assault is one of the trickiest things I’ve done, but it was also one of the most rewarding things. For the first time, I knew that my acting could have an impact on someone watching. I had an important message to share with others, and “Trust” was the first time anyone ever said “thank you” for my work. The show made me confident in my choice to pursue a career in acting.

Q: How and why did you get into theatre?

David: Honest answer, I hurt my back in gymnastics, and I had a lot of time on my hands. They were holding auditions for Kirk Players, and once I was on stage, I was hooked. It’s really addicting.

Cappuccilli: I have always been passionate about performing. It connected me to my family.

Roques: I had been exposed to theatre from a young age, and in my mind, theatre was just another part of high school, and there was no question that I’d audition for plays once I entered high school. I’ve always had a love of performing from band to choir to theatre. At first I just thought of it as a fun hobby, but then I realized that I had a real love for it and wanted to continue doing it in college.

Q: Do you prefer acting or singing?

David: I most prefer acting while singing. When the music plays and I have a character, it just clicks.

Cappuccilli: I’ve always had a greater connection with singing, but recently I’ve improved with my acting. I would say it’s very rewarding.

Roques: I’m personally more of an acting person; that’s what I plan on majoring in! I think that the scenes often get underrated during musicals, but there are so many opportunities for character and plot building during the scenes.

Q: What is your favorite part about “Thoroughly Modern Millie”?

David: It brings me joy to play the role of Millie. She is such a spitfire, and it is so exciting to play her in that era.

Cappuccilli: I think bringing the era (1922) to life [is my favorite part].