Red Rage Assembly Leads into the Back to School Bash

Madison Parola, Assistant Editor

Students enjoy the first assembly of the year, followed by the scarlet gray scrimmage and back to school bash.

To help students get back into the swing of school and to stir up their school spirit again with a bit of fun, the high school hosted its annual Back-to-School Bash on Friday, Aug. 19.

This was the third year for the bash, which was started as a social event to kick off the school year by getting the students active in the school social community, said Student Leadership Adviser Randy Lerner, math department chair.

For this event, students dress up in their class colors: freshmen and seniors, red; juniors and sophomores, white.  They then are encouraged to attend the football scrimmage before the bash at 7 p.m. in order to watch the varsity team play against the JV team.

After the game, students go to the bash party near the school’s north parking lot where they pay a $2 entrance fee. This fee covers pizza, snacks, drinks and access to activities, such as the dunk tank, the bouncy house and the obstacle course.

The main reason Sophomore Brian Silva attended the event was for the dunk tank.

“I am going to dunk my coach tonight,” he said, referring to Julie Block who coaches boys volleyball in the spring.

Several teachers volunteer to get dunked in the tank because it is one of the highlights for students at the Back-to- School Bash.

For freshmen, another highlight is that this is their first high school event, so many upperclassmen view the event as a good opportunity to introduce the underclassmen to the school traditions.

“The purpose [of the bash] is to welcome incoming freshmen and just make them feel like they’re part of the Mustang family,” said Senior Claire Bullington.

Since it’s not just freshmen who attend, the event is seen as a good opportunity to get all students back into the MHS spirit.  This gets everyone excited because they get to dress up in school colors and hang out with their friends.

“It’s a really good way to meet new friends from different grades and really interact with kids and show your Mustang spirit,” said Sophomore Maddy Newald.

Students, then, use the Back-to-School Bash as a way to catch up with friends after the summer months while meeting new friends throughout the various grade levels.

“You get closer with the upperclassmen,” said Sophomore Natalie Grey.

It also becomes a convenient way for athletes to make the event, as many scrimmages are held before the bash, not just the one for football.  Also, those involved with the scrimmages, such as cheerleaders and dancers, make an effort to attend the party afterward.

“I’m on the dance team, so I watched my team perform, and that’s why I’m here,” said Freshman Grace Carlson.

The Back-to-School Bash appeared packed with music playing and various friend groups running around laughing, having a good time.

Students said it has become a great way to start the school year.

“It’s right before the Homecoming game, so it’s giving everyone a taste of high school,” said Senior Alana Goodson. “It’s a great way to meet some new people, and it’s a great way to get into the start of the school year.”