New School Year Brings New Staff Members

New+staff+members+at+MHS+come+together+at+the+beginning+of+the+2016-2017+school+year.+

Kathryn Serby

New staff members at MHS come together at the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year.

Delaney Appelhans, Centerspread Editor

On Aug. 9, 2016, students and staff began the 2016-2017 school year, and with the start of a new school year came 20 new staff members that have joined Mustang Nation. Below, the 20 staff members are mentioned, along with their position, the college/university they attended, a fun fact and what they are most excited for about this upcoming year. Welcome to Mundelein, new staff, and enjoy experiencing all of the #mundypride.

Aaron Dame

Science instructor

Michigan State University I grew up in Michigan. I am most excited about teaching in the new STEM addition of [the] school.
Angela Espino

English instructor

Illinois State University Spanish is my native tongue. I’m excited to get to know my students, and I look forward to a great year!
Susan Frew

Athletic scheduling assistant

MacMurray College [in] Jacksonville, IL My dad Bruce Johnson, who is my hero, is an alum of Libertyville High School and was voted Most Valuable Senior Athlete. (I will spare him by not giving the year he graduated). As an alum of MHS, I’m so excited to start my first year here in the Athletic Department. As a community member, I’m thrilled about the new building addition and what it will do [to] enhance our current students’ learning process. So awesome to come back HOME.
Brett Goldberg

Special education instructor

University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign & National Louis University I’m “training” for competition barbecuing. I’m very excited to be a part of such a positive, close-knit community.
Brian Goodell

Special education instructor

Purdue University [for] undergrad & National Louis University [for] Masters I have lots of fun socks. Getting to know the students and staff. [It] seems to be a fun and diverse group.
Jessica Herrmann

Systems of support coordinator

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for my bachelors degree & Loyola University-Chicago for graduate school in school psychology & Northern Illinois University for my education leadership degrees I come from a family of educators! My mom, dad, husband and brother are all educators. I am very excited to get to know the students and faculty at MHS! I’m also excited to bring my two young children to cheer on and support the Mustangs at various sports games, plays, concerts, etc!
Martin Keane

Special education instructor

University of Dayton for my bachelors & National-Louis University for my masters I really enjoy golf and traveling. I am most excited about being a part of the MHS community and being involved in the school anyway I can!
Jessica Mott

Instructional aide, special education

Quincy University in Quincy, IL I grew up in Wiesbaden, Germany. I am most excited that I get to redo high school with my 1:1 student. Classes, technology, sports and a ton of other things are very different from when I went to high school, especially since it was in a small farm town.
Maria Najera

Special education instructor

Dominican University for undergrad & The Chicago School of Professional Psychology for graduate school I studied abroad in Cuba. I am most excited to be a part of a school that cares so much about student growth and success!
Troy Parola

Director of athletics

Millikin University [and] played football [there] I am a huge Minnesota Vikings fan. I love seeing students grow, develop and succeed. I love watching both athletic and academic success by young people. I can’t express how excited I am to be at Mundelein. The new building is AWESOME.
Kristina Pawlicki

Instructional aide, special education

Southern Illinois University & College of Lake County I love to bake, and I worked for Disney. Seeing how things have changed throughout the school since I graduated here in 2009, and getting through my first year in the education field.
Nicole Pomerleau

Special education instructor

I attended four colleges — Suffolk University in Boston, College of Lake Country (at the campuses in Grayslake and Vernon Hills), University of North Carolina at Asheville, and I finally graduated from Northern Illinois University in 2013 I am obsessed with CrossFit and train 4-5 days a week. I’m most excited about working with an amazing staff and wonderful, hardworking students! It’s so great to see everyone work toward their goals.
Kevin Quinn

Director of building and grounds

Community College of the Air Force & Northwestern University I hold a patent on a tool I invented. I look forward to seeing students utilize all of the facilities to enhance their high school experience. There is a tremendous amount of positive energy around MHS, and I hope everyone picks up on it.
Natalie Randazzo

Wellness instructor

Depaul University I love cheerleading. Getting to know the students and attending athletic events!
Jennifer Ryan

Special education instructor

University of Iowa [for undergrad] & Roosevelt University [for graduate school] I graduated high school with a class of 956 [students]! I am excited to meet many new staff members and students! Say hello/introduce yourself if you see me in the hall!
Cathy Schmidt

Head of security

Harper College – Parks and Grounds Management [I was] the first female Law Enforcement Officer hired in the history of the Village of Lake Zurich. Becoming part of the MHS TEAM [and] in some small way, making a difference.
Jessica Schuessler

Special education instructor

Eastern Michigan University for undergrad, National Louis University and Concordia [both] for graduate [degrees] I went to MHS! (Graduated in 2001) Having a chance to work one-on-one with students– best part of the job!
Mike Vukovics

Wellness instructor

Northeastern Illinois University I was raised in Mundelein and attended Mundelein High School. Being able [to] give back to Mundelein High School and the community.

The Mustang did not hear back in time for publication from the following staff members: Gabriela Cervantes, instructional aide and Maria Najera, special education instructor.