Real World vs. Reel World: Mundelein Theatre Presents ‘City of Angels’

photo courtesy of d120.org

photo courtesy of d120.org

Melissa Burgett, Print Editor-in-Chief

“City of Angels” pays homage to the film noir genre of motion pictures that rose to prominence in the 1940s. The setting is Hollywood in the late 1940s with two stories occurring simultaneously: a Hollywood comedy and a detective drama.

The show will open on April 27 in the MHS auditorium.

For many of the cast, this will be their final MHS production, and therefore, the school musical will act as a final farewell, including for these three senior members.

Q: What is your part in “City of Angels”?

Claire Bullington: I have two small parts in “City of Angels”: Anna the masseuse and Carla’s Hollywood Stand-In.

Thomas Ferro: I play Stone, who is the detective in the book/movie “City of Angels” (he’s the main character in the book/movie and the counterpart to Stine in the show).

Sheridan Hurtig: My parts are Alaura Kingsley and Carla Haywood.

Q: Why do you think MHS students would enjoy the musical?

Bullington: It’s so funny and [takes] a look into twisted relationships, with catchy songs and cool dancing.

Ferro: It’s so different from anything else we’ve ever done but in the best possible way. The music is super cool, and the story flips back and forth several times, and it definitely keeps you on your toes. I really think students are going to really like this show, and I’m very excited to put it on.

Hurtig: It has a mix of mystery and love with many innuendos, which will definitely get the students’ attention.

Q: What will you miss most about MHS theatre?

Bullington: I will miss being a part of something that has such an incredible outcome. It’s crazy to think as high schoolers we are putting on the same shows as professionals. No matter how big or small your part is, it’s impossible to feel unnecessary during the production. My favorite part would have to be the first dress rehearsals because it truly allows you to get into your character with your costume and makeup while also seeing everyone else.

Ferro: What I’m really going to miss about Mundelein Theatre is the people and the teachers. The people in theatre are the most welcoming and accepting people I’ve ever met, and I’ve become really good friends with a lot of them, so I’m definitely going to miss them a lot next year. Also, the teachers that work with Mundelein Theatre are so supportive, and I’ve loved getting to work with them because they are so amazing. It’s just been an incredible four years, and it’s definitely going to be hard to say goodbye.

Hurtig: Definitely the environment– whenever I go to rehearsal, everybody’s always excited to be there and ready to work. I’m going to miss that feeling of homeliness and strong friendship.

Q: What has been your favorite role in high school?

Bullington: This is only my second production, so I can’t choose.

Ferro: I’ve been very lucky to have played many amazing roles over the past four years, and I’d say that there’s probably a four-way tie for my favorite: Felix Ungar in “The Odd Couple” because it was my first lead in high school, and I got to play alongside my best friend (Senior Brenden Paul) as Oscar; Glen Weston in “TRUST” because that was the role/show that taught me how much theatre can mean to someone and how much of an impact it can have; Mr. Graydon in “Thoroughly Modern Millie” because I got to wear a purple suit with a bright yellow shirt, and also that show was just so much fun; and last, but certainly not least, I’ve got to say Stone in “City of Angels”. Even though I haven’t technically played the character yet, I’ve already had so much fun developing him and just working on the show in general, and he’s such a different character for me, and I’m just very excited to be able to play him.

Hurtig: I can tell it’s going to be this one. Alaura is very sneaky and catches everybody’s eye. She knows how to get her way and how to make everybody fall in love with her. I can’t wait to be her and to show the audience how I portray her.

Q: What advice would you give underclassmen members?

Bullington: I would say don’t discredit yourself because of your age or experience. You don’t have to be a senior to get a lead nor do you have to have done every show. Be bold in auditions, and give it your all.

Ferro: I would tell underclassmen Mundelein Theatre members to not get discouraged and just have fun. Since theatre can get pretty competitive, a lot of the time you won’t get cast or get the part you really wanted, but you just got to know that it’s not the end of the world. Every part matters, and no matter what part you get, you know you’re going to have a lot of fun. Plus, having fun is the most important thing, so basically you’re set.

Hurtig: I would tell them to keep going with theatre. At the beginning, it may seem stressful and nerve-wrecking, but as you go on, you will improve and become a better performer. My freshman year, I wasn’t really involved, and I regret that, so don’t have any regrets and take advantage of the amazing theatre program we have here at MHS.