SADD Promotes Happy, Safe Prom

photo courtesy of d120.org

photo courtesy of d120.org

Citlalli Gonzalez, Staff Reporter

SADD, which stands for Students Against Destructive Decisions, is just one club at MHS that encourages safe and positive decisions among teens.

SADD has been a national organization in the United States for the last 35 years.

According to the official website of the national SADD organization, “SADD envisions a world in which young people make positive decisions that advance their health and safety.”

Every year, MHS SADD students put together a pre-prom demonstration in front of the senior parking lot.  A crashed car is displayed, which is meant to represent what can happen when students make destructive decisions, like drinking and driving for example, especially during prom, when it is more likely for teens to use drugs and alcohol.

“Other schools have done it before [because it] helps send a message without too much pomp and circumstance. It’s there as a reminder without being too much of a scare tactic,” said Ryan Buck, MHS SADD adviser.

MHS pairs up with Ernie’s Towing, as this company provides the crashed car for the demonstration.

“I think that it gets a lot of attention [and] shows us that we shouldn’t drink and drive,” Senior Ilse Campos said. “I think it’s a really good prevention to get us not to drink and drive.”

In the late 1990s the national organization of SADD expanded its focus from students against driving drunk to other struggles faced by teens. These topics include depression, bullying and substance abuse.

MHS’s chapter, though, focuses on traffic safety because right now motor vehicular crashes are one of the leading causes of death among U.S. teens.

“I like being in SADD because it feels good promoting positive decisions around school,” said SADD member Jessie Kafka, junior. “It’s important because not everyone is aware of the impact their choices can make.”

If students are interested in joining SADD, the group meets most Tuesday mornings at 7:10 a.m. in Buck’s room, A114.  Send the message @6dck8 to number 81010 to receive reminders and alerts for upcoming meetings or events regarding SADD.