Would Not Trade These Years for the World

Kelli Smith

Delaney Appelhans will attend the Univerity of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in the fall of 2017.

Delaney Appelhans, Centerspread Editor

I’m having trouble putting my thoughts and feelings into words because it still hasn’t quite hit me that I’m a senior! These past four years flew by (while simultaneously feeling like they were the slowest years), but I wouldn’t have traded them for the world.
I remember signing up for my freshman year classes and choosing “Intro to Journalism”, which I honestly only chose because I had no idea what I was doing. But little did I know how much that one-term class was about to change my life. I found a home within B102 (A101 now, rude), and now I am turning my passion into a career.
I’d like to take this time to thank Ms. Sibery (Mrs. Didzbalis now, again, rude). Your encouragement and patience with me have been so vital toward my success. Without you, newspaper would not be nearly the same, and I will forever owe you for all that you’ve given me. I’m going to miss you and your typos with all of my heart next year!
Thank you to my best friend, Gigi (your new editor-in-chief!). It breaks my heart to be leaving you next year. Thank you for supporting me with everything I do. I am so excited to be by your side not only throughout your college process, but for the rest of our lives (this sounds like a love letter, sorry). I can’t wait to see us grow together until we’re WAGs (Wives and Girlfriends of professional athletes). Here’s to a lifetime of hockey games, concerts and trips downtown. Love you always.
To Adriana: I loved my time being co-centerspread editors, and I will cherish the memories we made in this class. You are my #1 supporter, and I hope you know that I am yours, too. I am so ecstatic to see you prosper at GWU.
To Gabby: I will never be able to express to you how thankful I am that we met that first day of freshman year. Thank you for being one of my greatest friends; I can’t wait to visit you next year!
To Jennimai: Even though you graduated and I’ll have to send you this myself, you are one of the greatest reasons I am so successful today. You are the oddest mixture of a bad and a good influence, but I love you for that. Now it’s your turn to visit me in Chambana!
To my fellow editors: Our Joe Biden memes and constant laughs in class are memories I will always hold with me. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors, and I can’t wait to see how far you’ll all go.
I am so excited to continue my journalism career at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The opportunities and resources this program has given me have helped me immensely, and I am so excited to use these skills in my future career. Hopefully, the next time you see me I will be writing for an online newspaper or interviewing athletes on the field. I-L-L…