Life Moves on Without Permission

Laura Kim

Stefani Zeiger will attend Ripon College, majoring in political science and communications.

Stefani Zeiger, Online Editor-in-Chief

As a freshman I never imagined wanting to actually be a writer. Sure, I love to read, but as an elementary schooler and middle schooler I’d had dreams of being a fashion designer or an architect. Taking journalism my freshman year was the best decision I’ve made in high school because it’s helped me decide who I want to be.

I’ve grown so much from this class and from meeting people in completely different social circles. My journalistic writing used to be weak; however, with the help of my peers and my amazing adviser, I’ve developed a creative complexity.

Never could I have imagined writing an article on chess club that was entertaining, but I made that happen. I also hadn’t imagined pioneering an online newspaper, but I did that as well.

Speaking of the online newspaper, aka my baby, I couldn’t imagine getting all of this done within two years. As an editorial staff, we created an aesthetically pleasing, updated website to help showcase our work. Along with this, our use of social media, specifically Twitter, has helped to connect to our readers. I still can’t believe we finally hit 300 followers on our Twitter account.

All of this online experience has helped me grow as a reporter because of the ever-changing news industry. It’s comforting to know that I can run a professional-looking website, along with a Twitter page, and receive positive feedback from it.

Although I’ve grown a lot from newspaper, there have been many struggles along my way. I’m involved with soccer, and I used to have a job. During club season, I’d have practice four days a week with games on weekends, and I’d work an irregular schedule. Because of this, it was important to use class time and homeroom to my advantage. It’s not always fun and games, but even when newspaper gets stressful, I still love it.

Being able to experience this with my two closest friends from middle school is probably my favorite part. Michael and Melissa have been great co-editors-in-chief this year even though we didn’t always get along or see eye-to-eye. I can’t imagine what it would’ve been like if I hadn’t been able to see Melissa every morning my senior year…it would’ve been way better! Just kidding–I’ve loved my time with Melissa all year and with Michael for the first half of the year, and I’m going to miss them so much next year.

I can’t even fathom what it’s going to be like working on a newspaper without any of my editors this year. Everyone is moving onto hopefully bigger and better things, and it’s just hard to picture moving on without them. Our editorial staff had great chemistry, and it’s going to be hard to follow up our reign, but new editors can go for it!

I procrastinated writing this because I couldn’t figure out all the words I wanted to say, and even this doesn’t do my thoughts justice. It’s hard writing about the end because I’m still trying to pretend that it won’t end. I won’t be a part of The Mustang anymore, and I won’t be beside the same people in just a couple months. I’m going to miss the online newspaper, our Twitter feed, my fellow editors, and of course Mrs. Didzbalis, who has become more than just a teacher to me. The things I’ve learned in this class and the people I’ve met won’t be forgotten when I’m at Ripon College next year. Thank you to anyone who’s helped me on the way.