Lady Mustangs play for a cure

Kylie Carrier, Entertainment Editor

During the school’s event-filled Homecoming week, the varsity girls volleyball team also hosted its annual Breast Cancer Awareness Game on Oct. 4. Although Libertyville High School defeated MHS with a 26-24 score for the first match and a 25-20 score for the second match, many on the team said they were still proud to play in their pinked-out jerseys that symbolized the meaning of the game.

“Our Breast Cancer [Awareness] volleyball match is always the most exciting match of the season,” Faith Krabbe, junior, said. “So many people come to watch and support such a great cause.”

Because of the work of the volleyball families, dozens of raffle baskets were set out for fans as a way to raise money for the Lynn Sage Cancer Research Foundation. These baskets were filled with various prices and gifts meant to catch people’s attention as they walked through the Commons to the Main Gym for the game. Fans were provided with descriptions of each basket’s theme and what it contained.

“The basket raffling is so impactful because it’s a fun, creative way to raise money,” Krabbe said. “Our parents make amazing baskets to be raffled off. This year, we had a Mundelein basket with a ton of Mundy gear, a basket with gift cards to so many nearby restaurants and a Grace Nails certificate.”

This year the girls volleyball program raised $3,400, which contributes to the $37,000 raised over the past nine years for the Lynn Sage Cancer Research Foundation, which is considered “one of the nation’s leading breast cancer research and education charities,” according to the organization’s website.

Taylor Heath, senior, said. “It makes playing the game so much more meaningful when you know you are playing for a great cause.” said Taylor Heath, senior.

The volleyball community also comes together to create a specific environment for the Breast Cancer Awareness game. Fans are dressed in pink and have the spirit of providing as much energy in order to keep encouraging the players to keep their energy levels high as well.

“Decorating the gym and selling our breast cancer awareness t-shirts and bracelets are also really fun to promote raising money for a great cause,” Claudia Wilcox, sophomore, said.

Since October is the designated month for Breast Cancer Awareness, the MHS volleyball program continued to sell its Breast Cancer Awareness bracelets even after the game. The pink bracelets were $5 each and sold during lunch periods.

Based on feedback the team gets from fans and donors, the team plans to continue this tradition next year.

“This game isn’t necessarily about how you play or whether or not you win the game; it’s about the awareness and support of breast cancer,” West said. “You’re fighting for a cause, and you’re a part of a community many people will never get to experience, so enjoy it and don’t take it for granted.”