It all flashes by in a blink of an eye

Madison Parola will be attending the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and plans to major in English Education.

Madison Parola, Co-Editor-In-Chief

If you asked me a year ago if I was ready to graduate, I probably would have said yes. I’m not going to lie; I complained a lot during high school. Could you blame me?

Let’s be honest– who in their right mind would like waking up at 6 in the morning to go to school? Plus, the Class of 2019 had to deal with a lot of change. We made it through the schedule change (I am still mad about it), an updated tardy policy and a lot of other new rules students now follow.

As a result, throughout high school, there were A LOT of times I didn’t want to be there. Other times I found myself asking, “How is what I am learning useful to my future? I’m sorry, but when am I going to use the Pythagorean Theorem? Someone tell me when!

All jokes aside, I found high school a trial-and-error period in my life. In the end, I don’t think the most valuable lesson I will take away is from any of those classes I sat in; instead, it will be all the moments in which I failed or succeeded that led to valuable lessons.

High school was like a math class. Sure, I learned how to solve math equations, but what was more valuable was how I got through the problems that I didn’t understand. I learned how to handle difficult equations, just like I learned more about who I am in high school. If you went back in time and met Madison of 2015, you’d probably assume you got the wrong person. I was quiet, confused and pretty lost about everything. Without realizing it, four years later I feel like I have become a new person, and I have this school to thank– from the sports I joined and the clubs in which I participated to the helpful individuals who have influenced me to be more outgoing, social and happy.

Speaking of the individuals who influenced my life for the better, I’d have to mention some of my teachers. Let’s start it off by talking about the one-and-only Mrs. Didzbalis or, as my class may remember, Mrs. Sibery. Through her class, I learned how to go outside of my comfort zone– interviewing an adult during my freshman year seemed like the scariest thing in the world, and now it’s easy as can be. In a world of restrictions on papers in every class and specific topics that I often didn’t care to write about, being a part of a class where I had the choice of what I wanted to write was very uplifting. This is biased, but I think every person who has an interest in writing should be a part of the newspaper. You will be a stronger writer and an overall better student as a result of this class. Thank you for everything! When I reflect on the teachers I’ve had, you will always be the first one I think of.

I also have to say a big thank you to Mrs. Plucinski and Mrs.Willis.

Mrs.Willis, you were not only an encouraging coach, but you were the teacher who really opened my eyes to the possibilities ahead. You are a perfect example of who I strive to be.

Mrs. Plucinski, you have also played a huge role in my four years, probably without even knowing. Thanks to you, I pushed myself to intern at the Lake County State’s Attorney’s office because of an interest in law I developed in your class, and here’s a shout out to Mr. Meister for getting me that internship! I am grateful for the advice you both have given me, and the concepts I learned while I was your student.

Along with teachers, I have to thank my friends for supporting me throughout high school. I wouldn’t have made it through these past four years without my friends. If I talked about all of the wonderful people I’ve met, this would be ten pages, and that wouldn’t make for a great senior issue. Instead, I’ll just talk about four of my friends who I love with all of my heart: Clarissa, Maggie, Alex and Natalie.

Clarissa, you’ve always been my partner in crime ever since I walked up to you in kindergarten and asked you to be my best friend. I made a good choice; I give my 5-year-old self props.

Maggie, I’ve also known you practically my whole life; you are one of the most hardworking people I have ever met, and I am so grateful for our friendship.

Alex, you bring so much laughter into my life, and you always know how to brighten my day, and I love you for that.

Natalie, I am so happy I met you my freshman year; thank you for always being there for me.

For all of the laughter and joy you four have brought into my life, I will forever be grateful.

During my time on the newspaper, I’ve met a lot of great people. I want to say a huge thank you to TJ, my co-editor-in-chief, for all of the help you’ve been this year. I’ve always pictured you working for ESPN and covering sports events; you’re going to do great things.

Hannah, every day you came into journalism, you made me smile; I can’t wait to see where you go. I am extremely jealous of your fashion sense.

Kylie, I am so proud of you for what you’ve done these past years for this staff, and I know you are going to be a great leader next year for the reporters and new editors.

Mackenzie, I am always astonished by your knowledge. Keep writing amazing opinion articles. I’ll be reading them.

My experience in high school was a lot different than most kids. I had both my parents working at the school. I was often asked if this was a curse or a blessing, and even though I often would make a joke about it, I am very happy that you’ve both worked in the school.  Thank you, mom, for going out to lunch with me, listening to me ramble on and on about nonsense, watching all of my games and having my back in every situation. Thank you, dad, for teaching me what it means to always give everything my all. Without you and mom, I wouldn’t be the person I am today, and I am grateful for the amount of support you both have shown me.

I also want to say thank you to my coaches.

Thank you Coach Rossini, Block, Willis, Dressen and Henley. I didn’t realize how much I’d miss volleyball until it was over. This sport made me excited to go to school, and I always looked forward to practice. All of the girls on this team were passionate about playing and were a family to me. Trust me, I’ll never stop playing volleyball. These last four years have brought so many amazing people into my life.

Thank you, Coach Suhling! When I look back at my three years of basketball, I will remember the full-day tournaments, the intense games where it was back-and-forth running until all of the air was knocked out of us and practicing and playing with others who loved the sport. I will also remember all of the pasta parties, bus rides, playing mafia and laughs, but in the end, the best part of it was playing alongside my friends. I want to give a big shout out to Kendall Klatt, a.k.a. my twin engine (as Coach Suhling once said), for being one of the best teammates I’ve ever had. I know you will do great things; keep working hard, and always be your outgoing self.

Thank you, Coach Zagula; you made me a stronger person, both figuratively and literally. At first I looked at track as a way to get stronger for my other sports, and that all changed after I realized how much I loved the sport. I’m grateful for the throwers and other track teammates I have gotten to know throughout high school.

Overall, high school brought a lot of new adventures to my life. As I go onto the next chapter of my life at University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, I will always be grateful for the individuals I met at this school.

My advice to the underclassmen is to be yourself. When I started high school, I was trying so hard to fit in, and I regret that. I know that when I am fully myself, I am the happiest; don’t let others change the way you think of yourself. Also, get involved! I made some of my closest friends by joining sports and clubs; I found people who had the same passions as me.

As I leave these halls, I will always be a Mustang, and I’ll never forget these last four years.

Sincerely, your fellow Mustang