Students share opinions on new camera policy

Ashley Cline and Tress Dorfler

As of Nov. 30, MHS students are required to turn on their cameras during their Zoom classes, meaning seas of black screens have become a thing of the past when it comes to remote learning. 

In a letter sent to parents and students by the school administration that announced the change in policy, it stated the cameras-on policy will improve the classroom environment, allowing students to connect with their peers and increase engagement; it also is meant to allow for “increased understanding and academic success.”

When hiding behind a computer screen, there is less ownership of responsibility, and I am sure less sense of self-expectation to pay attention and put in the effort needed to complete coursework,” Science and Engineering Teacher Mark Michalski said. 

For some students, e-Learning has had a negative impact on participation and work completion because they have not been able to engage with the material in the same way as in-person learning, which has resulted in a struggle to fully grasp the content.

“Within the first few weeks of the semester, it seemed as though students started strong, completing work, but then as time went by, more and more would just stop turning in assignments and projects,” Michalski said. 

The new policy is an effort meant to hold students more accountable than previously, and with it comes new procedures.

For example, it is now expected that students dress according to the school dress code and keep their face in the camera frame.

Failure to turn on cameras and follow these expectations will be marked in the student’s attendance– unless the student has an exemption filed with the school by a parent or guardian that allows the student’s camera to remain off.  

Students shared their opinions on the change to this new remote learning policy. 

Jessica Hebior, junior

Before the new rule regarding cameras, did you usually turn yours on? Why or why not?

It depended on the class. If I was in a class where other students did, I would turn my camera on. If I was in a class where only a few students did, I would leave my camera off. It felt weird to be one of the few who had their camera on, so I followed the lead of my other classmates.

What was your initial reaction to the new camera rule?

I was expecting a new camera policy, and I wasn’t very surprised. A lot of my teachers have expressed their preference for seeing faces instead of Zoom boxes; however, as soon as they stopped pushing the students to turn their cameras on at the beginning of each class, the students stopped turning them on. So, a lot of my teachers just gave up.

Do you think it will ultimately help or harm students during remote learning?

I think that the new camera policy is going to help. I’m certain that the teachers will have an easier time when they’re able to see their students’ faces instead of empty boxes. It’s demoralizing to present and not know whether or not anyone is really there, and this new policy is going to give teachers the assurance that I think some of them need. And, once the teachers feel more confident, they’ll start giving even better lessons. Even if this new policy annoys the student populace at first, I’m certain that it will have a positive impact in the end.

Do you think it was a fair decision for the administrators to make?

I certainly think this is a fair decision. Most of the students aren’t going to be negatively impacted by having their cameras on; I’m certain that some students won’t even notice it all that much. And for the students who would be negatively impacted, the administrators are allowing them to opt-out of the new policy with the waiver. I think they’ve covered all the bases.

How do you think it will change the “classroom” environment?

I think that the teachers are going to feel less apprehension about eLearning. I’m certain that some of my teachers dread teaching in what feels like an empty room, and I think that this new policy is going to take away some–if not all–of that dread. And once the teachers feel better about how things are going, the students are going to feel better, too. Humans, by nature, are social creatures, and we are all impacted by how others are feeling. This new policy is going to take away the empty feeling and the monotony of the Zoom rooms, and I think it’s going to make everyone feel better about the current state of the world.

Alaina Merkel, sophomore

I turn my camera on in some classes if they ask you to do so for participation points. I also turn my camera on if at least half the class also turns on their camera because it feels more comfortable to do so.

At first I was a little upset that we had to turn our cameras on because, in most classes, I usually didn’t get out of bed to go on Zoom.

Ultimately, I think it will help a large majority of students because, at least for me, with my camera off, I can be easily distracted and want to look at my phone, but now with my camera on, I feel as if I need to pay more attention in class and get more organized before class starts.

I understand why the administrators chose to make this choice. It was frustrating to hear at first, but it was a smart decision because they are only doing it to better all students’ education.

I feel as if the classroom will feel much more open and human because we used to just be seeing black boxes with names on them and told they were our “classmates,” but now we can actually interact with one another, and I just feel much happier to go to class now and see friendly faces.

Elizabeth Heraty, senior

I turned my camera on for the majority of my classes. In the beginning of the semester, in two of my classes, there were a small handful of students that kept their cameras on along with me, but overtime these numbers dropped. Since then, everybody keeps their cameras off. 

Personally, I don’t have a problem with the new rule.

I think it will definitely keep students more motivated and engaged. Especially with finals coming up, students should make an effort to stay focused, and having cameras mandatory will help that.

I think it was a fair decision as they did offer the waiver. It still gives the option for families if they feel their privacy is invaded.

I feel it will change positively for both the students and the teachers. Students will not get distracted as easily as they know they can be seen, and teachers can get a better understanding of how their students are keeping up. Participation will increase, benefiting the students’ education along with the teacher’s ability to teach the material to the students’ needs.