Wise words from senior leaders

Tress Dorfler, Co- Editor in Chief

Meet two seniors who the Class of 2021 has considered influential leaders in the school community this year and throughout their high school experience.

Isabel Sioson spent her senior year serving on Student Leadership as the school-wide president. (VIP)

Isabel Sioson, school-wide president

Q: What is your role as school-wide president?

I’m in charge of running school-wide meetings as well as helping the Freshmen and Senior classes with their class projects. 

Q: How did you carry out that role at MHS?

With this pandemic, I carried out my role online by attending and leading meetings through Zoom. This year, we focused more on supporting our local businesses, finding ways to carry-out normal school events and creating new ways to keep the school connected, especially during remote school days. 

Q: What legacy do you hope to leave behind?

The legacy I hope to leave behind at MHS is knowing we’ll always overcome adversity. This year has challenged us in so many ways, and each time it does, we come back stronger and more unified than before. I hope we leave behind the courage and determination to overcome any obstacles that come our way.

Q: Who inspired or helped you along the way?

Someone who has helped me along the way is Sucely Marcos [senior]. She’s always been there for me when things felt overwhelming and has shown me what a true leader is. 

Q: What do you want to tell the Class of 2021?

Something I’d like to tell the Class of 2021 is to continue creating our own history. We have become pioneers in building our future, and I hope we remember how much change we can do for the world and, really, how much of our future is in our hands. 

Trey Baker spent his senior year serving his school community as the president of Black Student Union. (VIP)

Trey Baker, president of the Mundelein Black Student Union, Director of the Mundelein My Brother’s Community 

Q: What was your reaction to recently being named Homecoming King?

It was definitely a pleasant surprise. At the moment, I was very appreciative and thankful for the recognition on behalf of the student body that I have the honor and privilege of serving. 

Q: How do you feel about being Homecoming King?

I feel very appreciative and honored to be recognized as Homecoming King. At heart, for me, this recognition symbolizes that we’re all kings and queens shining our light, peace and love in a world that now needs it the most. 

The legacy I wish to leave behind at MHS stems from the student body, faculty, administrators and our beloved community who I have the honor and privilege of serving every single day. Before my departure from MHS, I want to be able to say with confidence that we built the foundation for an action plan that starts at the root of these social and systemic issues and fights with a strategic mindset to lay a path that builds our culture to cultivate the genius in our youth and in our teachers– a culture where each and every single person who is a part of the MHS family is valued and their story matters. I want to be able to say with confidence that my team and I were able to positively impact someone else’s life and remove barriers to create spaces that will continue to empower students’ voices, identity, passions and leadership to shape the next generation. I want my legacy to ensure that I may have been the first to accomplish some of these cultural and systemic changes, but as a leader of public service, it is my duty and responsibility to inspire others in my community so that I’m not the last. 

My biggest inspirations are my parents and Civil Rights leader and icon John Lewis and former President Barack Obama. I couldn’t point to one particular person who has helped me the most. The movement, awareness and change we’ve been able to embody are dedicated to first and foremost my family, my mentor Chris Crater (community engagement associate at the Obama Foundation), my team with the Mundelein MBK and BSU, all of the teachers and administrators within D120, D75, D76 and D79 who have shown their continued love and support, and most importantly, the beloved community members of the town of Mundelein. 

Even if the mountain seems too high to climb or the light may seem too dim…have faith in our democracy. Participate and vote. Don’t fall for the convenience of cynicism– this notion that “nothing can change” or that there’s only one way to bring about change. The fact is we don’t have to choose between the act of voting and civil disobedience….We need both. They are patriotic….They shine a light on the darkness of injustice; they raise public awareness. They make the folks in charge uncomfortable in a way that’s healthy and promotes meaningful solutions. In fact, you don’t even have to be an activist to make a contribution to our democracy. If you’ve always dreamed of starting your own business, build a company that is a model for paying its workers a fair wage. If you’ve dreamed of always being in the medical field, think about working in a community that’s lacking equitable healthcare. There are so many opportunities to serve. The important thing is to recognize that this nation needs our talents, our passions, our voices to make it better.