MHS expands P.E. offerings next year with Early Bird Strength 2 option

Olivia Baude, Opinion Editor

For the upcoming school year, MHS is offering Early Bird Strength 2. This is an expansion on MHS’s physical education class offerings, and currently early bird classes run from 6:45 a.m. until 7:35 a.m. before the first period bell. 

Stacy Gorman, Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction explained the reasoning behind the decision to include Early Bird Strength 2 in the 2022-23 school year curriculum. 

“We looked at course selection data, spoke with students and parents, examined the current schedule for all P.E. classes and reviewed class sizes,” she said. “After collecting this information, we made a decision to provide students with an opportunity to take a P.E. class before school.”

The psychology behind learning and exercise was also a contributing factor

Researchers claim that exercising before engaging in learning can help improve students’ academic performance,” Gorman said. “Before school, P.E. can lead to increased brain power, which is important before the beginning of the school day.”

Early Bird Strength 2 would free up an extra period during the day in which student athletes (or any students) could pick up a study hall seeing as how often practice ends late in the day.

Justin Hart, the department chair of wellness, mentioned other benefits for taking P.E. earlier in the day for athletes.

“We try to schedule Strength 2 periods one, two, three and four because those are ones with a lot of athletes, so that way they have from period four to eight to recover before going to practice.”

Elena Wiechering, sophomore, who plans to take the class next year, confirmed Hart’s statement about the benefits for student-athletes. 

“Gym can be placed at any point in the day, but getting it out of the way in the morning can be very beneficial when having practice right after school,” she said. “As of right now, I have practice after school and gym eighth period. Having it in the morning can give these athletes a chance to rest and gain back their energy before practice.”