Spring Wellness Boost

Samantha Tolentino, Staff Reporter

After the success of the Winter Wellness Boost back in December of 2020, MHS hosted a Spring Wellness Boost from April 25-29. The week consisted of a different theme and activity every day, with the activities being aimed to relieve students’ stress and boost their overall mental health. A variety of staff members and student volunteers led these different activities during the lunch periods, such as showing a movie in the Auditorium, having therapy dogs in the College and Career Resource Center, and making crafts in the Commons. Dr. Jessica Herrmann, director of student services, explained what the goal of having the Wellness Boost was. “Everyone can benefit from continuous conversations about mental health and well-being,” Herrmann said. “Our purpose in hosting the Wellness Boost was to increase awareness of the importance of wellness, provide opportunities for individuals to learn some new strategies and create avenues for staff and students to connect with themselves and with one another.”

Photo by Samantha Tolentino

Helping Hands: Junior Eva Pechtl, a student volunteer, helps students make paper handprints that represent themselves to promote diversity. 

Photo by Samantha Tolentino

Making Mental Health Awareness Stick: Free stickers at the Wellness Boost table promote mental health, with the green ribbons representing mental health awareness and the rest displaying motivational phrases.

Photo by Samantha Tolentino

Smiles & Stickers: Junior Riley Hodel, Junior Mia Dunaway and Senior Anjeli Modi volunteer at the Spring Wellness Boost tables on Wednesday, April 27. The students created a positive environment by handing out gratitude books and stickers to students, as well as playing songs that students requested. “My favorite thing about the Spring Wellness Booth was watching every person that stopped by take a moment to relax and interact with the activities we set up,” Dunaway said. “It was really exciting to see people having fun playing yard games with their friends, making bracelets and getting super excited over stickers.”

Photo by Samantha Tolentino

Beaded Bracelets: Students make beaded bracelets together in the Commons during their lunch period. 

Photo by Samantha Tolentino

Hands of Diversity: The paper handprints of students hang on the walls, showcasing the importance of diversity and representation in the school.