Back to School Bash Strikes Iron Again

Trevor Fox, Staff Reporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Xoup7EpIs

With a final score of 14 to 7, when there’s food and fun everyone wins.

That was the story Friday, August 21st as the Mundelein Mustangs hosted a Back to School Bash full of activities to get the students hyped up for the next school year.

This was the second year of the bash, and it kicked off with a Freshman Football scrimmage, followed by a Varsity versus JV Soccer Scrimmage, and finally a Varsity Football Scrimmage.

It was at that varsity gridiron match up, titled the “Scarlet and Grey Game”, that students poured into the stadium to see the Scarlet side come out on top two touchdowns to one.

Mundelein High School calls this student section “Red Rage”. This year’s leaders are seniors Jake Breitenreiter, Charlie Volpe, Kelly Vander Ploeg, and Kelley Sloot.

Breitenreiter said, “We’ve been looking forward to [the bash]. We just found out [we were leaders]…and we’re happy to be here. It’s going to be fun.”

Following the games, Red Rage transformed from a crowd of fans to a crowd of participants, as students in attendance were able to participate in games such as an inflatable obstacle course, a dunk tank, and an all new “Wrecking Ball” — an inflatable battle field with a massive ball players use to hit each other with an end goal of being the last one standing.

The school provided food for the students and used the event as a way to build school unity and spirit at the start of the school year.