Boys Soccer Incorporates New Coaches

Dalyne Yanez

Jake Fiolka rests during a break in play during the varsity Regional game against Waukegan.

Dalyne Yanez, Photo Editor

The new construction isn’t the only big change to the school. The boys soccer team added new coaches in hopes of a season of teamwork and success.

The freshman coaching staff added Science Teacher Jed Doyle.
“Adding Coach Doyle to the mix will [bring to the team] a very intellectual mind, due [to the fact] that he played soccer in college,” said Ernie Billittier, varsity head coach.
The sophomore team is now coached by former freshman coach Dave Ekstrom who retired back in 2011 after 30 years of coaching but has come back to continue coaching.
Junior varsity this fall has been coached by Paul Franzen, who coached the freshman team for many years. Last year he was living and teaching in the Dominican Republic but said he is excited to return to MHS to work with its students and athletes.
The varsity coaching staff included Mike Dayton as assistant coach who has coached soccer for 19 years (boys freshman, boys sophomore and boys varsity; he also coached all levels of girls soccer for 19 years).
Dayton said he feels comfortable coaching players he once coached when they were younger.
“I feel we have a strong coaching staff– even stronger boys [players],” he said.
When Head Varsity Coach Billittier attended MHS, he was coached by Dayton.
“The position was open, and he’s done the role many times before. He impacted me as a player and person. The boys also really enjoy him,” said Billittier.
But Dayton responded to this compliment by complimenting his players.
“The kids I’ve coached have impacted me more than [me] them,” said Dayton who added he has improved as a coach over the years by reflecting on who he wants to be as a person and a coach.
Billittier also added that by having both Dayton and himself as coaches, they’ll work together to share their different perspectives, to challenge one another and to conduct more discipline on and off the field.
“I agree with what Mr. Billittier mentioned before,” said Dayton. “He is a young man, me being a little older, we see things differently. Where he sees one thing, I see another; we play off each other. I’m a little straightforward, and he’s more playful.”
Billittier said his goals for this season are “to win league, conference, tournaments, regional…, and after regionals anything can happen. We also want to help the boys grow into young men.”
Billittier mentioned that the boys are often reminded that the best way to win is to have “a team first mentality,” meaning that there’s no single player on the field; it’s a team effort.
The players have responded positively to the changes on the coaching staff.
One of the varsity captains, gave us his input on the changes that are being made, “I think the changes made this season can help us [and the whole soccer program] to move forward,”  said Yann Nsoga, senior varsity captain. “The addition of new coaches can bring new minds that can influence us greatly in many ways. They’ll impact us in a very influential way.”
Nsoga also had positive remarks to add about Dayton now being a varsity coach.
“Moving coach Dayton up has impacted the varsity team in a positive way. We have had him as a coach once on the sophomore team, so being reunited with him, and him knowing how we play, is a good factor to our team.”
Like Billittier, Nsoga had big goals for the soccer team.
He said, “I think our team will make a run in the playoffs this year. We have the work ethic, the pride and the heart to go far, and I strictly believe we will.”

Correction: In the print edition, it was reported that Senior Yann Nsoga was captain when this title is actually held by Seniors Edson Suaste, Jake Fiolka and Donnie Kvien.