Students sign up to serve

Faith Fiorivante, Staff Reporter

Q:  What does your life after high school look like?

Andrew Owens:  I am going to the University of Georgia on a full Army ROTC scholarship where I plan to major in finance.  I am excited to be back in Georgia, where I was born and meet new people.  I’m really looking forward to creating new memories while of course advancing my educational and military knowledge.

Ellie Maldonado:  I have decided to enlist in the U.S. Army National Guard.  I plan to ship out, go to boot camp and complete my AIT training starting this upcoming fall.  This will be about four months. After that, I’m going to volunteer for admission. That will be nine months.

Eubin Kim:  After high school, I will be attending the Naval Academy for four years, beginning with basic training in the summer for six weeks. Then, I will serve in the Navy for a minimum of five years, but the number of years I will serve is depending on the career I choose.

Q: What has inspired you or made you want to take part in serving?

Owens:  My initial inspiration came from my family. I have several members of my family who have fought in our nation’s wars, but another huge source of inspiration was through learning more about our military.  These men and women understand that freedom is not free and are willing to do anything for our protection, and I want to be a part of that.

Maldonado:  I have always been a part of a team and just wasn’t ready to not be a part of one after high school.  School has never really been my thing, so the thought of college was kind of scary.  I’ve always been good at physical and athletic activities, and that is a big part of the military.  With that as a strength I have and the opportunity to be a part of a great team, I had to take it.

Kim:  I never imagined myself attending the Naval Academy when I first entered high school. When I was a freshman, my brother was a senior at MHS, and he applied to both the Naval and Air Force Academy. Learning about the schools myself as he applied to them and visited, my interest for the academies grew after learning about the many beneficial opportunities the institutions provide. He’s currently attending the Air Force Academy, and listening to his life there made me want a similar college experience.

Q:  What is one thing you’d like to say to a specific person, or people, who have supported you and your decision?

Owens: My whole life my parents have supported me in every decision I’ve made and are my biggest cheerleaders.  They sacrifice so much to make sure that I can do whatever I set my mind to and have taught me so much about life, doing everything they can to prepare me for the future. I wouldn’t be where I am without them.  I have moved seven times, and one thing I know for sure is that friends come and go, but family is the one thing you can count on forever.

Maldonado:  My parents have no idea of how grateful I am for their endless support. I know it’s hard for them to see me go off, and I know we’re going to miss each other, but I know they’re proud. I am so thankful for how they’ve supported me in everything that I’ve done.

Kim:  I would first like to thank my family, who has supported me and helped me with any decision I’ve made. I would also like to thank all the great faculty members at MHS, whether it has been a teacher or a coach, because I believe that they’ve well prepared me for my life ahead.