Remember these timeless summer countdowns

Hannah Stanley, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

The approaching summer days can flood students with childhood memories– of memories listening to music outside or riding on the bus with sing-alongs that made up many years of our youth. Here are just some songs that’ll make you reminiscent about your past.

“Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield: As a fan favorite, especially for those in the MHS Red Rage section, the song provides a fun sing-along with many laughs. Having heard this song a countless number of times during our summers, “Unwritten” spreads smiles from cheek-to- cheek when sung, bringing just a bit of that childhood summer feeling back.

“Year 3000” by Jonas Brothers: Who has now come back, older and far more attractive, the brother boy band originated on Disney Channel where they were presented to a more youthful audience. Such a song as ‘Year 3000’ presents the more childlike pop music that many of us listened to in our youth. It’s an endless “bop” for the summer to come.

“Big Girls Don’t Cry” by Fergie: Touching so many of our little hearts when younger despite truly never experiencing the relationship loss she is singing about, Fergie brought out the inner ‘sad girl’ that we did not exactly know existed. Rather, many of us interpreted the song as something else by taking the message as ‘Big girls don’t cry’ literally. That take on the song empowered many girls during their youth to be strong and powerful.

“You Belong With Me” by Taylor Swift: The emotional, gut-wrenching song served as a summer night car ride jam for many, as passengers sang at the top of their lungs about what many believed they had experienced during their middle school and elementary school days. Bringing more than enough heartbreak songs, Taylor Swift provided our childhood years with endless albums to accompany the famous “You Belong With Me.” 

“I Gotta Feeling” by The Black Eyed Peas: A more upbeat and party song for our childhood years, “I Gotta Feeling” provided us with an easy to learn song that made us jump up and down to the catchy beat. With quite the repetitive lyrics, the song would do nothing short of getting stuck in your head for more than just a day, and just when you thought it was finally out, the radio would blast that catchy tune again.