The Spinning Flags of Winterguard

MHS+varsity+Wintergaurd+practices+for+upcoming+competitions.+Molly+Stedman+said+the+team+is+working+on+%E2%80%9Dgetting+as+many+reps+as+possible+on+what+we+know.%E2%80%9D+

Photo submitted by Caleb Heikes

MHS varsity Wintergaurd practices for upcoming competitions. Molly Stedman said the team is working on ”getting as many reps as possible on what we know.”

Hannah Roberts, Staff Reporter

Many people have heard of Color Guard and refer to them as the people who spin flags and rifles around a marching band. However many people don’t know that in the winter, Color Guard becomes Winterguard which is a competitive sport which is different from Color Guard as there is no marching band with them. 

According to senior and Winterguard captain Caleb Heikes Winterguard is, “Definitely a sport which is very difficult. We compete as well.”

Last year MHS had one team due to a lack of people who were participating. This year however, the sport has both a JV and a varsity team. JV consists mostly of people who are new to the sport while varsity has more experienced members. 

The varsity team spent the first few months of practice preparing for their first competition on January 28th. 

Sophomore Molly Stedman who is on Varsity spent the time preparing by, “Focusing on the music, counts, and flow.” 

According to Stedman the team as a whole was working on clean movements and good counting. Despite not having their whole show yet, the team was confident with the first chunk of their show going into the competition. 

That confidence paid off as at their competition the team placed 2nd. 

Senior and other captain Meagan O’Donnell said, “The entire team was on cloud nine.” 

O’Donnell also commented on the team’s overall performance. 

“The team did very well at just being in time and remembering all the things we worked on in practice.” 

For their practices the team will be working on the new things they have learned and counting during the tempo changes. Personally O’Donnell said she will be working on feeling more confident during her tosses. 

The JV team also has a routine that they have been working on. The team plans on performing at some of the remaining basketball games during halftime.