MHS students resolve global issues

MHS’s Model UN team at the MUNUC conference in Chicago. This was the first one to be held in person since the Covid-19 Pandemic. Jesse Piland, social studies teacher and an adviser on the club described the experience during the pandemic  “It was very difficult to sustain. Most diplomacy happens face-to-face. Zoom was difficult.”

Photo submitted by Jesse Piland

MHS’s Model UN team at the MUNUC conference in Chicago. This was the first one to be held in person since the Covid-19 Pandemic. Jesse Piland, social studies teacher and an adviser on the club described the experience during the pandemic “It was very difficult to sustain. Most diplomacy happens face-to-face. Zoom was difficult.”

William Fisher, Online Editor-In-Chief

MHS’s Model UN team attended the Model United Nations of the University of Chicago (MUNUC) conference on Feb. 2 to 5, held at the Hyatt Regency Chicago This was the first Model UN conference to be held in-person since the Covid-19 pandemic. 

“Model UN is a club where students are able to act as delegates to the United Nations and work together with each other and others around the country, and even the world, to propose resolutions to relevant global issues” said Stella Moon, a sophomore who represented the People’s Republic of China at the event. 

The United Nations was established in 1945 after World War 2 as an organization for governments from around the world to meet and work together to achieve global peace and security, solving issues through diplomacy rather than violence. 

Social Studies Teacher Jesse Piland, one of the advisers for Model UN, described what skills are gained from Model UN, “Students truly learn the benefits of collaboration and diplomacy.  They learn that there are lots of different ways to connect and solve problems”.

MUNUC was established in 1988 and holds an annual conference in Chicago, with 31 different committees across a variety of issues where students represent their countries interests and views. According to MUNUC’s website the conference brings in over 3,000 students from the United States and across the world. 

“Our committee focused on Migrant Labor Rights, which is very important today, particularly relating to immigration. Many of the resolutions were similar, but the overall consensus reached was that governments should provide additional aid to struggling migrants,” stated Moon. 

Ronan Gardner, a sophomore in Model UN, described the committees, “So we had three hour committee meetings every maybe two hours during the day, and it was really formal, but it was also super fun working with other people from all over the country. For example Mundelein made really good friends with a high school from Boston.”

Preparation is key, “Preparation is you have to come up with…your country’s essential position on it. You have to make a position paper, it’s not that hard, but it’s hard to take the perspective of a country you don’t necessarily agree with,” said Gardner. 

Gardner also recommended the club to anyone “Wanting to go into international relations or anything internationally, this is the club for you and honestly, it’s a great way to experience new things and new people.”