Girls, boys track coaches anticipations for season

Photo submitted by Lauren Mjoen

Sophomore Vivi Gonzalez running the 4×800 meter relay race during the Feb 18 track meet at Buffalo Grove High School. Gonzalez also ran the open 800 meter race and the 4×400 meter relay race. Said Gonzalez, “I don’t know my favorite part of track because I think there’s a lot I think about when it comes to track. I think about the community of runners, my personal goals, the reason for why I run, the adrenaline rush (combination of excitement and nervousness), how inspired I get by other runners, because I’m an addict to this sport.”

Megan Burns, Print Editor-In-Chief

With the track season just beginning, and both teams having at least one meet under their belt, the girls and boys track coaches look forward to the season with new and returning members.

Girls track

For his first year, Head Girls Track and Field Coach Jonathan Mahoney has set personal goals and is eager for the team to grow and improve, while acknowledging some difficulties the team may face.

How will this season compare to previous seasons?

We have a nice mix of both new and returning athletes. We are looking forward to seeing continued growth from our experienced athletes and we are eager to see what new team members can contribute.

What are some team/personal goals? How will they be accomplished?

The overall goal is for each team member to set new personal bests in each of their events. By working consistently throughout the season and being committed to the team, ideally we will see growth across all team members which will enable us to be as strong as possible as a team overall. As a first year head coach, my biggest goal is to provide a positive environment for our athletes. We want to establish a positive, supportive environment where we are working together and encouraging one another to continue to grow and improve.

What are some challenges you might face this season? How will you overcome them?

Our challenges include a lack of facilities during the indoor season, weather challenges during outdoor season, and remaining healthy from January to May. We work through these by remaining flexible and maximizing the spaces and opportunities we have. We also emphasize taking care of our bodies throughout the season.

What is your favorite part of track season?

The best part of track is the time together, supporting one another, and those moments when someone sets a new personal best and does something they had never done before.

Boys track

Head Boys Track and Cross Country Coach Kurt Rutz hopes that the team can finish strong and high in the conference, despite any difficulties they might encounter. 

Our numbers are up, so I expect greater competition within the events. Also, this is our first full season post-covid, so I’m looking forward to a return to full normalcy.

As a team, we look to finish higher as a team in the conference. We also hope to qualify for State in multiple events. We are working harder on the technical aspects, which should help us in the field events and relays. I don’t set personal goals, only team goals.

Our biggest challenges are injuries and the weather. We are working closely with the athletic trainer to minimize injuries. The weather can’t be controlled, only managed. We will always look for ways to what we need done regardless of the weather.

The State Series. It is the culmination of all the work we have done all season long.