Link Crew Develops Leaders, Welcome Class of 2019

Senior+Kelly+Vander+Ploeg+welcomes+Freshman+Jule+Cuasay+with+a+fun+game.+Vander+Ploeg+and+Cuasay+had+to+hug+until+the+ballon+that+was+between+them+popped.+

photo by Natale Fiocchi

Senior Kelly Vander Ploeg welcomes Freshman Jule Cuasay with a fun game. Vander Ploeg and Cuasay had to hug until the ballon that was between them popped.

Natale Fiocchi, Opinions Editor

It’s a bright and early morning on Aug. 11. Herds of freshly graduated eighth graders are scattered throughout the halls of MHS waiting to get the next four years of their life started.

That start begins as soon as the main gym doors open where the freshmen enter through a tunnel of Link Crew leaders cheering them on to “Uptown Funk” by Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars as it blares through the speakers.

“I’m always excited about seeing a new group of leaders get enjoyment from helping freshmen and seeing how they make an impact on their lives,” said Randy Lerner, Math Department Chair, who co-advises Link Crew with Social Studies Teacher Cynthia Henrichs.

Link Crew is a club that trains upperclassmen to become leaders who guide and mentor the freshmen class while making them feel welcomed to their new environment.

They begin their interaction with freshmen during Freshman Orientation, held right before school starts.

At this event, an observer can see all the reactions of the incoming freshmen. Some are excited, nervous and scared. Others just don’t want to be anywhere within 100 feet of the school building.

But Link Crew leaders aim to ease those feelings of discomfort by offering friendship.

“In Link Crew we’re supposed to act like friends or peers to the underclassmen,” said Senior Monkia Bowser. “It’s important to make them feel comfortable.”

In order for the leaders to help out the freshmen, they need to go through training first.

During a day in May of the previous school year, also known as “May Day”, the leaders who have been chosen through an application process come together to participate in team building activities.

They also come together again at the end of summer before school starts for two five-hour days of leadership training. Lerner and Henrichs run through the activities that the Link Leaders will be expected to lead during orientation.

This year, these activities included getting the freshmen pumped up in the main gym with music.  Later on the freshmen were divided into groups by their assigned homerooms, which they will have for the next four years of high school.  During this time, the leaders and freshmen participated in activities that would help the freshmen get to know each other as well as more about high school.

One “game” the leaders introduce to the freshmen is known as “64 Squares.” During this activity, a leader will step up and share a story that has shaped his or her high school experience.

“It is important to show freshmen the story of high school,” said Junior Jake Antenore. “Even if you hit a rough spot, you continue on, even if you make mistakes along the way.”

Because Link Crew can leave a lasting impression, Link Leaders like Antenore want to make coming into high school as memorable and positive as possible.

“I decided to join Link Crew because coming into high school my Link Leaders helped me, and I wanted to do the same for the incoming freshmen,” he said.

By the end of orientation, some of the leaders and freshmen say the goal of the day has been met; bonds of friendship begin to develop.

“I wanted to make sure freshmen come into a new environment with a buddy,” said Junior Kalli Majewski.

Not only does Link Crew put together Freshman Orientation, but the members also are responsible for leading activities in the freshman homerooms throughout the year to help freshmen transition into high school and to help the upperclassmen build their leadership skills.