MHS Softball Needs Flexibility After Losing Starting Catcher to Injury

MHS softball huddles around their coach after an inning in the field vs Warren

Danielle Hoffstadt, Staff Reporter

This season will be a major turning point not only for the softball team but for catcher Meghan Ehemann as well since her injury will put a damper on her ability to play throughout her junior year.
Considering Ehemann was the starting catcher this season on varsity softball, not only does it emotionally impact her desire to play but the tear of her rotator cuff in her shoulder creates much physical pain.

“I was hoping for some college recruits and just a really good season overall because I worked my butt off during the off season, which I guess potentially made my injury on my shoulder worse over time,” said Ehemann.

Her shoulder injury occurred over a long period of time from the constant work at the batting cages. Even though she could move her shoulder during this time, she could also feel it get worse each day.

Despite her fear of losing time on the field during the upcoming season, she decided it was time to see a doctor.  She learned, then, she needed surgery to repair the tear and that the recovery process would take six to eight months of difficult physical therapy.

She said the severe pain never really goes away.

Not only does the physical therapy make it difficult but so does the huge cast and sling she has to wear on her arm, which limits her ability to do her normal daily routines, such as writing and eating.

Even though she is managing her new lifestyle, she also must learn to adjust to the emotional aspect of the situation.

Ehemann admitted it is difficult to watch someone take her place and have her teammates on the field without her.
But many people within the community still recognize Ehemann as a hard-working player since she has played the sport since the age of 3 and has demonstrated the characteristics of a committed teammate.

“I really wanted to play with Meghan so bad on varsity this season, and it is just so sad to see her upset all the time…we all just try to cheer her up at practice,” said Peyton Pribyl, sophomore.

Pribyl is potentially the next starting catcher on varsity, and even though Ehemann is upset it isn’t her out on the field, she said she is happy it could be Pribyl taking her place.

What also makes it harder for Ehemann is this is her last year with some of her closest senior friends, and not being able to share the field with them one last time will make it upsetting to watch the season unfold.

One of the varsity coaches, Brett Wilhelm, also sees the struggles the team could have without Ehemann playing.

“Meghan could do a lot of things for us, such as playing in field or being flexible with positions, so we will have to make some changes…She is a coach for us, not technically, but always helping the girls learning other positions,” said Wilhelm.

Ehemann plans to start softball again in the summer and play for the school next season. She also continues to work toward her dreams of playing ball at the college level despite losing her junior-year career.