New Logo, New Year

Madison Parola, Assistant Editor

In previous years the school hasn’t had a consistent logo that was printed on sport and club shirts.  Instead, the branding decision became left to the sport or club member designated to design the shirts. As a result, MHS had no consistent branding.  

After a while, there were a bunch of different horses being used on uniforms, sweatshirts, on the walls,” stated Public Information Officer Dr. Ron Girard in an e-mail. “So, we no longer had an identity as “Mustangs”.”

Now there are several new logo options that can be selected for placement  on spirit wear, club wear and sportswear with the main goal of giving the school the identity of “Mustangs” once again.

“Last year, [a committee] decided to come up with designs that would be used by everyone all the time so that we could once again be recognized by our logo: THAT’S the Mundelein H.S. logo,” said Girard. “We now have a number of versions of the same horse that we hope will now be the Mundelein Mustang horse from now on.”  

Besides redesigning the horse logos, the school seal was also revisited.  The original one was first created in 1961. It was redesigned in 2005 and then again in 2008.  

“We are now back to the [logos] that should never have been changed,” said Girard.

There is more choices than just the “M” decal. There are multiple logos that now will represent MHS.

“…There is a number of different logos they can use. You have the M, You have the stand up horse, The horse in the shield, and you have the the outline of the horse head,” said Diane Risdon, athletic secretary.  

There are large discs on many of the walls in the school. The school will also be redesigning the outside of the Press Box at the athletic field also the signs at the entrances of the parking lots are being redone. MHS will have flags on the light posts in the parking lot,and the flag in front of the building will have the new logo placed on it. It will also be on our athletic uniforms, band uniforms, spirit wear and etc. The school also hope that people will start having the “M” decal and bumper stickers on their cars.

The new logos are going to be seen not only throughout the school but also within the community, as sports teams compete against other teams or MHS material gets distributed throughout the village of Mundelein.

[The school] wanted to get everybody back on the same line using all the same logos. The [new] horse [logo] is more of the traditional one that they used to use years ago,” said Risdan.

Athletes will be effected when the school changes uniforms among varsity sports the new logos will be placed on them and will be used on any new sports wear for spirit wear.

Clubs will also be affected when ordering spirit wear. One club that already adopted one of the new logos in order to change its branding was the theatre program.  Not only did the theatre department change the logo, but the name of the program was also revised.   The program went from being called the MHS theater to the Mundelein theatre. This information was presented with the announcement of the 2016-17 production schedule. .

In an Aug. 10, 2016, press release, Theatre Director Jonathan Meier said, “The issue with being known as MHS Theatre is that many other schools whose name starts with an ‘M’ use that same name. Having Mundelein in our title gives us much stronger name recognition.”

As the MHS staff has adopted the new logos, students have responded favorably to the change, especially since many students saw the logo for the first time at the beginning of this school year.   

I think it’s a good idea because our school will have a brand; other schools will know that [it’s] MHS” said Maddy Newald, sophomore. “I think [the logo is] cool. I think [it] looks a lot better, and it makes our school have its own identity.”

Students had enjoyed the presence of the new logo and the coaches and teachers who will be affected by these logos for the longest have also received the logos well.

“The new logos have been very well received! Everyone was asking [the school] for the artwork of the new designs, so they could incorporate them into their areas,” said Girard. A lot of athletes uniforms will be updated this year. Band and theatre have already created a new design that has the logo.

“I honestly haven’t heard one negative comment. I hope the excitement continues and that this in one small way [that] defines and unifies our school,” said Girard.

In the next year the school will have a huge change while switching over to the new logos.

“They will continue with [the logos] and I think it’s great. I like seeing all the new logos showing up in the building and as the year goes on you’ll be seeing more and more of the new logos. It will be on the booth outside of the stadium, that’s all gonna be redone. It will also have the new rugs be brought in.” said Mrs.Risdan

Girard said “I hope the excitement continues and that this in one small way, defines and unifies our school.”