Get un-spooked with these Halloween classics

Maggie O'Donnell, Features Editor

It’s time to break out the best costumes, to eat all the candy one can, to carve pumpkins and to trick some friends and family members. Most importantly, though, it’s time to watch all the best Halloween movies created for this spooky season.

Some of the best Halloween movies, though, aren’t the scary ones.  Instead, they are the ones that create humor and pull at the heartstrings. The following movies are the Top Three must-watch movies for the Halloween season:

Hocus Pocus: Bringing unique costumes, special effects and a great cast, “Hocus Pocus” is the family film to watch this Halloween season. This film takes place in Salem, Mass., and follows teenager Max Denson as he visits an abandoned house with sister Dani and friend Allison on Halloween night. Despite the legends about the witches and the house, Max lights a black flame candle while in the house that brings back the three witches who used to live there. With the help of a magical cat named Binx, the kids must steal the witches’ book of spells to stop them from stealing the souls of children. Celebrating its 25th anniversary, “Hocus Pocus” is a Halloween classic to watch whether that is in theaters or on Freeform during its “31 Nights of Halloween.” “I really like all the action and mystery,” Olivia Harbison, senior, said. “I love the main character Max Denson and his relationship with his sister and how kind he is to her.”

Casper: “Casper” revolves around the protagonist with the same name– the friendly ghost everyone knows and loves. He “haunts” a mansion in Maine with his misfit uncles when specialist James Harvey comes to encourage Casper and his ghostly pals to leave the house. Harvey also brings along his daughter Kat with whom Casper falls in love. This classic dates back to 1995, but it actually originated as a book in 1939. “Casper” is the perfect movie to watch with family and friends if you are looking for a fun and relaxed Halloween movie. Taurus Martinka, senior, said, “I love “Casper” because it reminds me of the good times I had during my childhood for Halloween.”

The Addams Family:  Involving the favorite Halloween family, “The Addams Family” gives people the goosebumps despite not necessarily being a scary movie. “The Addams Family” revolves around the family of the same name. When a man pretending to be Fester, the missing brother of Gomez Addams, returns home, the family is thrilled to have him back. However, the mom, Morticia, and the daughter, Wednesday, begin to doubt Fester’s claims since he can’t remember much about Fester’s life.  A lawyer named Tully Alford helps Fester evict the Addams clan from their home, so they can steal the family’s fortunes. When Gomez realizes their conspiracy, he must challenge them to win back his house. “This movie is a classic! I watch it every Halloween, and it never gets old,” Brianna Martin, sophomore, said. This fun fantasy film was released in 1991 and is still a big Halloween movie today. With a catchy theme song and some interesting characters, “The Addams Family” is just the kind of spooky needed for the season.